Friday, December 12, 2008

A Sad Day

Bettie Page died at the age of 85 today.

I have always admired Bettie Page for being way ahead of her time in how liberal she was in her path. Being a pin-up model in the 1950's had to have been difficult for her and was fraught with harsh words and a judgmental eye.

She never understood the cult status she had been raised to. She stopped modeling in 1957 and pulled back from the public eye.

She had a heart attack at the beginning of this month and succumbed to pneumonia yesterday.

I got my hair cut with the signature short bangs last year when I needed a huge change in my life. It gave me this confidence and ability to move on past a hard relationship and the reinvention of who I am.

I feel blessed to have Bettie Page in the past of who America is now... who knows what doors she opened for women like me!

Bettie Page at 80 (Picture taken from Because the World is Round)

You will be missed Ms. Page

"Well behaved women rarely make history."
- Laurel Ulrich

2 comments:

nancy said...

I saw this first thing this morning and had I had time, I would of posted the exact same image.

Keep rockin' in the afterlife Bettie.

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

She was such a beautiful woman! She will be missed.