Friday, October 14, 2011

What I've learned from my friends


I’d like to think I am a good person, like, in my core I feel like I’m within my right to expect decent Karma. Yes, I can be judgmental, unwilling to see the “other” side and snobby. It’s true…. Hang around me enough and you’ll see an ugly side. But I’m highly empathetic, caring and loving to those I’m close with.

That being said, I’ve been known to judge people by the way their kids act. Many times I won’t say anything but I’ll mutter under my breath “Brat”, “Someone should spank you” or “Well… look at their parents, that explains them.” I know… it’s horrible and something I should change.

It seems the universe has helped me along my path to not judging people’s kids. It brought me my friends. I can’t begin to explain how much these people have come to mean to me in the past few years. I’ve watched them go through heartaches, I watched them have marital problems, pumpkin problems and their kids get diagnosed with things like autism to cancer.

(I think this was taken in 2007, these are just some of the ladies I've come to know)

What they have taught me as been the “plant” food I needed for my personal growth. Yes… somehow I’ve made their issues all about me, it’s that selfish side, but I need to let the world know what I’ve found outside my selfish bubble to help me grow more everyday.

  •        Mom’s fighting for their kids doesn’t mean the Mom is a pain in the rump… it means she loves her kids enough to make something unfair, fair.

  •          ALL eateries need an elevator; no one’s child should EVER have to drag themselves upstairs because there is no elevator for their son to get up to where we are having a toy party. This was the day I truly fell in love with one of my close friends.

  •          Not all illness’ can be seen; autism is silent and can’t be seen by someone walking by. When a child near you doesn’t seem to understand what we think is social etiquette, it’s not the parents or the kids fault, it could be something out of everyone’s control.

  •          Adoption is hard. I know… you’d think of all people, I should know this, but I never knew of another world out there that believes adoption is “evil”. That taking a child away from their parent creates unbearable scars and they will fight with you and speak loudly when you tell them you adopted your child.

  •         NEVER write a letter you can’t take back. Calling someone out because of the cars they drive, because their kids play in the street and to use the wordage “Retard son” is inhumane and disgusting. People like that should be hung out in the street and shot.

  •          I’ve never known a level of patience like I see with my friends and their kids. They almost have an energy that’s soothing to everyone around them when things get hard, when a child is screaming because they don’t understand or a strange lady (Me) is in the car when they aren’t used to it. They love with a depth that I respect.

  •          It is okay to stress, to think your life is hard, to need a girl’s night out to gossip. We all need it, embrace those moments.


I can’t thank my friends enough for showing me how to let go of some of my criticism, to open my mind when I’m being blinded by my own judgmental ways. I’ve learned so much from you all. Mucho Amor. 

2 comments:

Frugal Vicki said...

Seriously, this post doesn't seem like you at all. And in fact, as little as we see each other and talk, I think you would be surprised at how much you have taught me. I think you are sweeter than you realize, lovely lady!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I have been so enriched by our blogging community, too. I've encountered situations I would never understand on my own, and it's made me a more well-rounded mom, woman and person. I am so grateful that blogging has brought me together with YOU.