Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My daughter, Myself




She doesn't always say the right thing or fit in with the crowd that I thought she would,
Many times I find her to be aggressive and overtly negative with the status quo life we live.

I've been known to get frustrated with her and wonder who in the world she is like, because it's not me.

And then I remember.

I remember the girl who told her father, "If he doesn't like me without make up, then he won't like the real me." I recall Metallica spilling from my headphones and the look of disgust I got from my parents when they read some of my poetry.

Many time when she grumbles under her breath as she heads upstairs after I'm done yelling at her because of her grades or when the dishes weren't done... I can almost say the words coming out of her mouth. I said them 19 years ago to my own parents.



My second daughter is outspoken, an original masterpiece that can't be formed into a mold.
She is an amazing artist, a talented writer and as I found out tonight, tons of fun to walk around shops with.

I am thankful to have been given this time with my daughter Ashlyn, she's a special girl that is already 17 years old and will be out of the house soon. I've only got a short amount of time to teach her the things she needs to learn... Thank goodness she's a fast learner.

4 comments:

Rajean said...

Suzanne, this hits home and I needed to read it, esp. tonight. Thanks. Parenting has no easy button.

Elena said...

Your daughter is lovely. I have no kids, but I wish a girl...

ConnieFoggles said...

This brings back memories of my older daughter who is now 24 and amazing. You're a wonderful, loving mom.

fiona@banteringblonde said...

Rajean isn't kidding about that "easy" button - i think there are times when reading a post like this is a reminder of the bittersweet in it all, I'd never trade my world no matter how chaotic it all gets!