Crunchy Green Mom - Suzanne

Crunchy Green Mom - Suzanne

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wordy Wednesday - Reason behind my silence


Every October I get a little anxious, it’s time for the yearly mammogram.


Last year I got the call, This year I thought I was free and clear, in fact, I thought about skipping a year in between them, I am only 36, I don’t need them every year…. Right?


“Suzanne, this is the Woman’s Clinic, the radiologist found a mass and would like you to come back in for another Mammogram and Ultrasound”


Dammit…


Laila and Eddie came in Friday morning, what was 4 days going to change right? So I made the appointment for Tuesday and enjoyed the weekend with my dear friend and her boyfriend.



Tuesday was a mess (anyone who knows me realizes how much I HATE Tuesday’s. Yesterday was hands down one of the worst Tuesday’s in existence) full of stress and angst.


I went in mid afternoon, got my robe, grabbed my Blackberry to stave off boredom and got radiated. Three mammogram films, then an ultrasound and finally 20 minutes of waiting to hear what they had to say.


“You have an abnormality on your films; however it is not a lump or a mass. Come back in 6 months and we will take another look to make sure it doesn’t get denser.”


YAY!!


Another year, another mammogram passed and now I can continue on with my life. I can raise my kids, love my boyfriend, and throw snowballs from the hillside. I feel like every year my life gets put on hold for a few weeks until this passes.


However, don’t get my minor complaining wrong. It is better than months of undergoing chemo/radiation, or spending weekends sleeping because the medication is making me sleepy. If something happens… I will catch it in time. If something springs up my radiologists have prior films to go off of and will be able to catch it in time so I can watch my children grow.


My quest for you…. Go…. If you have a history of it in your family, start going at 35. My doctor always writes me a note during my yearly so I can go, right after I get my pap to test for cervical cancer. Get tested, you have to get beyond any discomfort or fear, it takes such a limited amount of time, and to go another 365 days of health… it’s worth it…

Post a Comment