Thursday, October 8, 2009

Duck... Duck... Grey Duck???

(I will add pictures when I get home. I'm still failing on getting those on photobucket) (Oh... and as a side note....I do not like my friend Timmeh anymore... he sux.)

We all live in the same country and somehow, things get “twisted” or switched around over state lines.

My best friend was telling me the funniest story this past weekend about how different things are between Texas (where we are from) and Minnesota (where her boyfriend is from).


*******************************************************************
They were watching "Who wants to be a Millionaire" one night and here was the question:

What follows: Duck, Duck ______

A. Goose
B. Duck, Goose
C. Mallard
D. Hippo

The whole room erupted with an opinion… “Duck, Goose” “Come on, that’s a stupid question” “Goose, you morons” “Mallard, that would work right?” The guy got the wrong answer and was out of the game, the room settled down as my best friend turned around to look at her guy.

The whole time Eddie had been sitting in the back of the room, tapping his lower lip, looking like a confused kid.

With a smile she slide over to him, poked his arm and asked… “Um… honey…. What… what are you staring at.”

He cleared his throat, and whispered back, “None of those are right….. “ Avoiding her gaze he stated, “It’s Duck, Duck, Grey Duck”

********************************************************************

Apparently, that is the game in Minnesota, “Duck, Duck, Grey Duck”.

How is it so different?

In Texas we called all soft drinks, Coke. “Hey, you wanna Coke? What kind?”
When my best friend moved to Minnesota the store sign actually said “Pop, Isle 5”

She gawked, took a picture and sent it down south.

Yes, it’s called Pop…

*****************************************************************

So… here is my question. What is different for you?

*Do you call soft drinks Soda, Pop, Coke?
*When you talk about going 4- Wheeling, do you call it 4 Bying or what?
*Is it Duck, Duck, Goose, or something else?

What differences do you know of from your neck of the woods?

8 comments:

Tim said...

In my neck of the woods, Jeopardy isn't a multiple choice quiz show :P

Crunchy Green Mom - Suzanne said...

Yep.. I even put a note up there for ya... buddy!!

Tim said...

Nothing but love for ya :D

koreen (aka: winn) said...

Until I moved to the states, all soft drinks were "pop". Since then, I've acquired the habit of calling them "soda", much to the bemusement of my fellow Canadians where I now live.

4-wheeling is 4-wheeling.

It's duck duck duck duck duck duck .... and then goose when someone gets frustrated and yells out "git on with it!"

by the way, I still call the last letter of the alphabet "zee", not "zed" like I was raised to or like everyone around me does too. I'm trying to teach my son "zee" as well. I'm a rebel. =)

Annie said...

It's Duck Duck Duck Goose!

and I am from Kansas, but a military town so we call it soda mainly but pop is thrown around too. Me? I call everything Coke. I thought I was the only one who wanted a coke - a pepsi! LOL

Danielle said...

Well I have some family in chicago and they actually call soda pop as well. When my cousin asked me for one I knew what she wanted but asked why she called it pop. She said thats what its called.

I also work with this one lady who is from Minnesota and I absolutely love her accent. She always says "beg" instead of "bag"

"Hey Danielle I love your beg"

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melissa said...

I'm originally from Southeastern, PA and it's soda there. However, by the time you get to western, PA it's pop and is still such where we are now in Cleveland. Duck, duck, goose is all I've ever heard of, but haven't heard of 4 bying (just wheeling)! Isn't it fun to learn all about all the different quirks? Thanks for stopping by.