Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Oh.. the Mammories!......

I did not care if I had to pay for it myself. I was getting a mammogram at 35.

I know very little about my family history. I know my maternal grandmother died from breast cancer at a young age. I wanted to make sure I didn’t leave behind my little ones.


So, Monday morning was my first mammogram of many.


Here are the key points:


*Why do they make the pieces see through? I don’t want to see my breast squished.

*Did they purposely try to pop the nipple off the breast?

*Does anyone else ever go home and have to “reshape” them?

*Anyone else want to take those robes home? FABULOUS!

*I made it a point to look at my mammogram. They are cool!


Here are some tips to make it easier:


*Relax- It’s not scary, just not nice.

*Do not wear any lotions, perfumes, etc.

*Most of the people in there are very old, it helps with the ego.

*It’s not worth it to NOT have one every year. What is it going to hurt?

*It took me 45 minutes from the time I got there, to the time I got back to work.


They are through and wonderful at this, I know which mammogram center I will go to next time.


So please, ladies, between 35-40, start up having mammograms, for no other reason than a peace of mind!

8 comments:

Charlotte said...

Wonderful posy, Lilith!! My father died of breats cancer...yes, my FATHER. Although his cancer was not genetically passed onto me, I will be starting this year at age 30. My sister is a mamo tech in SC, and I know plenty of mammo techs here in Maryland if anyone is hesitant or needs to know where to go. Seriously, it is THAT important. Just do it! God for you for being so proactive AND making this post. Thanks You!!!

Nydia said...

I had a benign cyst removed from my right breast around twenty years ago, so since then I make a check up every year, just in case... And you're right, the exam is really nothing to worry about, only not something comfortable. It doesn't matter, it's important indeed to keep updated!

It's great everything is ok!

Kisses from Nydia.

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

Theeeeeeeere you are! I've been wondering about you!!!!

Adrienne said...

I turned 40 thisx year and had my first one. The beautiful technician told me I had the breasts of a 20 year old. I almost tongue kissed her! (P.S. I don't produce milk so I never breast fed)

Butterfly Mama said...

Thanks for the play by play!!! Will do.

I have given you an award...

Hugs,
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Great advice and thank you for sharing! Have a great weekend!

mo said...

Good for you! You are right- well worth the 45 minutes. I have to say the whole clear thing amused me. Seeing my boob all squished so flat sort of made me laugh.

Donna said...

How come you can't wear perfume, lotions, etc?? Yeah, I need to get one scheduled too.