Friday, November 22, 2013

Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: Egypt - Book Review





I am a reader. Something that people of my generation say a lot, we were raised in libraries, with the dewey decimal system. We knew where the books for our reading level were and for many of us that was where we found our adventure.

Creating readers these days can be a challenge and sometimes boys are the hardest ones to bring into the fold. So when I skimmed through the series of Gannon and Wyatt when they came in the mail I was thrilled, a series that my 9 year old step son could relate to and with an upcoming book report, they showed up at the right time. 

The books are about real life twin brothers that have been globe trotting since they were little babies, all three of the books are fictional stories however the brothers have visited each area and proceeds from every book sale goes to a group in need in that local area.

 In Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: Egypt the adventuring duo are studying with world-renowned archeologist Dr. Mohammed Aziz. They join him on the search for the lost tomb of Cleopatra, however that search is met with perils of tomb raiders, poisonous snakes and curses. It is a great read and even my 5 and 6 year old daughters got caught up in the stories. I think Gannon and Wyatt have taken on girls names in my daughters mind, however the story is the same.

crunchygreenmom-gannonandwyatt-egypt-2013

(My daughter reading at storytime)

This series is perfect for adventurous boys and girls between 8-12 years old. The story is written as a journal from each boys point of view, so it's broken up into smaller sections which seems easier for kids when they are reading.


The Travels with Gannon and Wyatt series include:
  • Botswana (released May 2013)
  • Great Bear Rainforest (released October 2013)
  • Egypt (to be released January 2014
Travels with Gannon and Wyatt is a middle-grade adventure series written by Patti Wheeler and Keith Hemstreet. I hear they live somewhere in Colorado, I think I need to head to Aspen for a visit, an interview with the boys might be the PERFECT way to help the kids appreciate the stories even more.

 I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

   


No comments: