Thursday, June 27, 2013

Hippopotamus cupcakes - Kindergarten Safari Theme


My little girl had a safari theme presentation at school. Now, we aren't "technically" supposed to bring homemade food into the school. But, it's kindergarten, and they are soooo cute! So, I crossed the line a little and rebelled.

I had high hopes for a "cooler" animal, when she came home and told me she had gotten a Hippopotamus, I was speechless. *blink* I could make a cool tiger cake, or even an awesome lion fruit tray, however, I am always up for a challenge, so I spent a few days devising a plan and THIS is what I came up with.






* I used normal cake mix, some of that amazing new Cool-Whip Frosting and colored sugar sprinkles.

* The hippo's eyes and front teeth were candy pearls and the green on the eyes is simple colored frosting.

*The body and head are made out of colored fondant that I rolled out and cut into circles. I trimmed some triangles for ears and it all came together in an evening.



(We had a few gluten free kids in class so I made a couple gluten free cupcakes with jelly beans on them so they could enjoy the festivities as well)

I loved watching the presentations and treating the kid to something different for the day. Even if I was a rebel Mom. :) for doing it!


5 comments:

The Mom Jen said...

Those are adorable~!!

Tammi @ My Organized Chaos said...

Oh wow, those are just adorable! One of my twins is OBSESSED with Hippos, she would LOVE these!!
:)

Silvia said...

Nothing is more fun than creating cupcakes at home, isn't it? This cupcakes are adorable!

Katja of Skimbaco said...

Great job, those look so cute!

The Mommy-Files said...

These are so adorable and creative! I bet they loved the cupcakes!!!