Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Birthday's only come around once a year


I never celebrated the birthday of someone I called my husband. After the strange, assorted history I’ve had, that is not something I thought I’d say in my late 30’s.

The realization hit me yesterday, Dave’s birthday is Friday and he’ll be 41. 40 was a biggie, we had a surprise birthday party for him with friends from all over. It was a ton of fun to plan and the look on his face was priceless.

So that should be good, right? No… not to me, I think birthdays are a big deal. Being an adopted child, I learned a long time ago that I am incredibly lucky to be alive; I traversed the odds of a crappy beginning of life and am blessed to be where I’ve ended up. So, I look at birthdays of those I love to be important.



So… Friday is my husband’s birthday and I’m trying to figure out what to do at this point for him to celebrate his first year fully into his 40’s and first birthday in our marriage. We will be going to the Bronco’s Game of the week, which happens to be my son’s football game. I just need to come up with sweet ways to tell him Happy Birthday all day long… 41 only comes once, right?

Do you celebrate birthdays in your family? Do you make a big deal out of them?

No comments: