Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pencils, Pens, Chalkboards and Red Apples

School starts randomly in my house.

Jake started school a month ago.

Issa starts 3 year old pre-K on the 18th.

The teens all start school on the 23rd and Kara starts her first year of college.

This did not become real until this weekend when I ran into my kid’s kindergarten teacher at the store. How did I recognize her? It’s been 10 years since I last saw her.

10 years is a long time when you are watching your child learn to read and write.

10 years is a long time when you look at your own face and realize it is not as wrinkle free as it used to be. ~traitor~

10 years is a long time when you are sitting in the stands watching your son tower over his teammates during football.

10 years is not a long time when you are standing in front of a woman that knew your three older children 10 years before. She has the same calming smile, the right words and a memory of you that no one else has.

As I watch my oldest daughter pack her bags for her adventure into life that starts with a dorm room and matching plates, I watch my toddler get excited about her Dora backpack and playing school with her little sister.

I know in 10 years, I’ll be walking down the grocery store isle and share a smile with a mom who is wrestling her kids as they swarm to the folders with kittens on them and squealing out, “Oh Mom.. I NEEEED these markers”. Because I’ll still be telling my teenagers that they don’t need a new backpack.

In 10 years my oldest daughter will be 29 with kids of her own that need pencils, paper and lunchboxes.


In 10 years I am sure I will see that same teacher, picking up an apple remembering a time when they were littering her desk.


Images:


Image: Carlos Porto / FreeDigitalPhotos.net



3 comments:

Amy @ YodelingMamas said...

What a sweet post. I love the perspective you have each and every day having kids across a wide age range! Good luck with your back-to-school adventures...especially sending your oldest to college!

Kim Moldofsky said...

The thought of one going off to pre-K and one going off to college makes me dizzy.

I love your description of the pre-K teacher. My younger son had the most special, best teacher for kindergarten, I get nostalgic thinking about her.

Best wishes for a good year!

Frugal Vicki said...

I loved this post!

AND, I saw your name on the DMNS event, we will have to catch up then!!